Monday, August 06, 2007

Nats and (future) history

So I see that the local boys, the Washington Nationals (well, for a few more days, until I move to B-more), have a 4-day road trip against the Giants. That means some poor Nats pitcher will be immortalized as the guy who gave up 756. Tim Redding, perhaps? He's scheduled to take the mound on Wednesday.

I used to be such a Bonds fan. Back in my Techmatics days, when fantasy baseball was still pre-Internet, he was my #1 pick two years in a row. Such an incredible athlete. What I find sad is that he probably had the talent to make it here without the drugs.

Baseball is hurting again. Not quite as much as in 1995, after that horrific, World-series canceling strike. But the sport is definitely stained, so much that even the president mentioned steroid use in the State of the Union. Hmm, on second thought, maybe baseball isn't in that bad a shape...

My prediction is that Bonds will retire at the end of this season, probably with 770 under his belt. I figure A-Rod will finish with about 48, giving him 512 career. That means... let's see, a delta of 258. He's 11 years younger than Bonds. I don't think he's peaked yet. So here is my bold prediction, on this day, 4 August 2007, I predict that A-Rod will break Bond's record around the all-star break in 2014. And he will finish his career in 2018 with 828.

You heard it here first...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home