Monday, July 02, 2007

Musings


For once, not a rant about a comic strip, and not a folksy story about the latest project.

I blew it.

A couple of years ago, I was hooked on "24." As with most episodic television series, I couldn't be bothered to tune in at a certain time and a certain day, so instead I would rent the entire season on DVD. I believe I banged through four discs in one day, one day. Absurd. And even the ridiculousness of the plots, the laughable logistics, and the scenery chewing by Mr. Sutherland, none of that could keep me away.

Still, something itched behind the eyes. After a couple of weeks, I realized it was an idea, an idea for a parody. So I fired up FinalDraft and started banging out a script. A few times, I laughed out loud at my own ideas, which is either a sign of creative juices, or, well, you know.

I pitched the idea to everyone: I would write and direct, and play a small role. Eroc would be Jack (known as Zack in my script), as he is pretty intense and has-very-careful-diction all the time, so ratcheting it up Zack would not be a stretch. Ravi would be my villain, Grisella would play Nina, and Zack's daughter -- who at one point has kidnappers kidnap her from other kidnappers -- would be played by [an actress friend], who despite being only about 12 years younger than Eroc, could pull it off. One day at lunch I told her ALL the details, and she was thrilled.

Then, I let bills and working jobs and OtherStuff get in the way, and never made it.

But I guess [actress friend] liked the idea, because, well, she wound up playing a slightly different role.

No, it's not my script, and in some ways it's more clever than mine. Still. Interesting coincidence, eh?

This is what I get for a) having a decent idea b) blabbing about it c) doing nothing but blab about it. Lesson learned.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home