Thursday, May 17, 2007

Mozart's Howitzer



Ok, so I knew about "Basket Case." It was the early 90s, and I'd just started playing around with the guitar again after a number of years. I discovered the (old) WHFS, 99.1, and was suddenly exposed to this cool "alternative" music. So one day I'm working out the Green Day song on an acoustic, and the ex strolls by and says "cool, you leared 'Pachelbel's Canon."

"Huh?"

She rolled her eyes. "The GE Light Bulb Commercial Song."

"Oh!" And I realized it was in fact the same progression. And pretty much the same as The Police's "So Lonely," which my trecool 3-piece neopunk bad had played a decade earlier. A year or so later I noticed that Blues Traveller's "The Hook" was not the same progression. But man, this guy is amazing! Stick with the video until the last minute, or at least fast-forward to it. It's worth it.

1 Comments:

At 7:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That was very funny indeed! Also nice to finally hear someone else using the "Taco Bell/ Pachelbel" pun.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home