Monday, April 03, 2006

A name by any other Rose



My ex is the art director for a snobby stationery/personalized greeting card company. She does almost all of their samples. So, for years, I'd see names of people I knew in their catalogs. There were even birthday cards and letterheads that had my name on them. To this day, their web site shows a card with "Frances B" on the top -- my grandmother, who passed away five years ago. The fact is, it's HARD to make up fake names, as Jerry and George discovered with Art Vandalay.

Well last week I was working on a tv pilot for ABC. My official role was a set dresser, but the production designer found out I have some... "experience" with things high-tech, and I quickly became enlisted to make the computer props work properly. At one point, we were shooting in the lobby of the Dept of Interior (making it look like Dept of State), and at the last minute, a PC was added to the guard desk. I had exactly 90 seconds to gen up a fake visitor log for the screen.

On that list are the names of my friends, my ex's family, people I knew in high school, and a couple of college friends (look closely and you'll see "Rice, K." and Stableford, S. (really closely)) Two of my golf buddies are highlighted with the red bar -- trouble! And naturally, The Girlfriend and all her crew. Plus my old IBM buddy Mr. Rose.

Hey -- names gotta come from somewhere, right?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home