Tuesday, December 13, 2005

My Oscar Mission, 2005

Earlier in this blog I talked about how I’m trying to watch every film that won, or was nominated for, Oscars in the six major categories. In 2005, I managed to watch 109 of these films. That might sound impressive, until one realize there are 1,171 films from 1927 to 2004... As 2005 draws to a close, I’m looking back on those 109. To keep this somewhat manageable, I’ll break it into 20-film chunks. Working backward chronologically:

1. Million Dollar Baby (2004)

Loved it, other than the tacked on bit with Morgan Freeman in the shadows... clearly a post production decision when they realized there was no way his character could know the details for his letter. Sloppy.

2. The Aviator (2004)

One of the greatest biopics, from a master. But he’ll never get an Oscar.

3. Finding Neverland (2004)

The second she coughed, we all knew she was toast. Just once I’d like to see a character in a film cough without a reason. Dust, perhaps. But the kids, well they really did break your heart.

4. Ray (2004)

The brilliance of this film – and this performance – is made even more obvious after watching 2005’s Walk the Line, and noting how derivative the second film is.

5. Hotel Rwanda (2004)

The more we learn about Rwanda, and the more we learn about how the west did nothing, the worse our shame becomes.

6. Maria Full of Grace (2004)

Horrifying what poverty and desperation can drive people to. I couldn’t swallow one of those.

7. Vera Drake (2004)

Very well done for such a low budget. Note the lack of locations, and the tight shots; when we see the police cars, it’s a very very high angle... no doubt because it was out of the budget to dress an entire street to period. I love the way even her family can’t agree on her crimes, much as we as a public cannot reach a consensus.

8. Being Julia (2004)

I think Anette deserved the Oscar. Hillary had better not ever do live theatre with Ms Benning...

9. Closer (2004)

"My name is Jane." What a scene. The tensions that have been brewing for so long are erupting into rage, and Jane just smiles and takes the tips. She's the only strong character in the film. And we don't know her name.

10. Before Sunset (2004)

Boring beyond belief.

11. Before Night Falls (2000)

I’d never heard of Arenas before seeing the film. Now I wish to read his works.

12. You Can Count on Me (2000)

The complexity of the characters – even the kid – was impressive, and realistic. Even Matthew Broderick’s somewhat two-dimensional middle manager draws on a series of real bosses I’ve had over the years. Although I never slept with any of them.

13. Almost Famous (2000)

Penny Lane is taken aback for a moment, then recovers her spunky optimism, and says "What kind of beer?" It’s one of those classic film moments I’ll never forget. True story: I’d just re-arranged my video setup before watching this film, and somehow bent one of the pins in the S-video cable. So I watched this film in black and white. And thought it looked great...

14. The Straight Story (1999)

Alvin has had a great life, and it’s going to end on his terms. Sadly, Richard Farnsworth wasn’t acting: Soon after the film wrapped, he took his own life when he was diagnosed with terminal cancer.

Is it insensitive to opine that Sissy Spacek deserved an Oscar for most annoying actress.

15. Sweet and Lowdown (1999)

Sean Penn is not a likeable guy. But his characters are usually pretty well drawn. His Emmet is believable, in all ways besides the guitar playing – not even close.

16. Gods and Monsters (1998)

Brendan Frasier started out so strong in "School Ties," but then fell into a nice groove playing loveable lunks. Here, and in "The Quiet American," he shows some true acting chops. I wish he could find more roles of a serious nature; his skill has earned them.

Wag the Dog (1997)

Reviewed earlier.

17. The Apostle (1997)

Terrific on so many levels, but… the last scene is just too damn long. I lost the passion when I saw the cops. I knew what was coming, and for a while, the tension built. And it stretched. Then it snapped, and I just started waiting for the inevitable. Trimmed by 10-12 minutes, this becomes a near-perfect film. The two ways that Sonny deals with Billy Bob could not be more different... or more effective.

18. In and Out (1997)

Didn’t much care for it, other than watching right-winger Tom Selleck engage in a homosexual kiss. If only Hollywood would stop making such trash, right Tom?

19. Secrets and Lies (1996)

Note how closely the mannerisms of Cynthia’s character match up with Vera Drake, another Mike Leigh film. How both women have a secret, and one that is a byproduct of sex. How both women cheerfully ignore the issue, until it’s thrust upon them, and note how similar the tears are. Not a slight – both films are powerful and well made.

20. The Crucible (1996)

Usually films derived from plays seem awkward with new blocking and sets. This one seemed like an original screenplay. All of the performances were strong, and quite convincing. The concept of mob hysteria has been with us forever, and we’re no closer to eliminating it today than we were in colonial times. Tsk.

1 Comments:

At 2:54 PM, Blogger Laura said...

I'm a big Django fan, so Penn's performance was something I was expecting to not be too happy with. However, I LOVE Sweet and Lowdown..One of my favorites.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home